This semester is just about to come to a close, and while it has been a stressful one here at the end, it has also been one of growth. I feel as if this past semester has stretched me in ways I didn't think I could be stretched musically. For instance, I took a class called "Orchestration." I was pretty nervous to take this class, because I knew that I would be required to actually arrange some music (5 pieces to be exact). However, I found that this was something I can actually do! It might be more time consuming for me than for some others, and I may not be the best or be the most creative at it, but I was proud of the pieces I created, and a few of them sounded really good. I felt as if a whole new world of music had been opened to me... and it felt amazing!
I also took a Basic Conducting class. Now, who hasn't thought at some point in their life that they could probably get up and wave that wand around just as well as that professional you see at the symphony? Yeah, well, it's not nearly as easy as it looks. Just when you think you're grasping one concept, the teacher gives you a new one, and so on and so forth... The scariest part: I have to take Advanced Conducting! =O But I'm looking forward to it. Conducting has turned out to be my favorite class this past semester. Some things came easily, some things didn't. Some days I got praise from the teacher, and other days he only gave me things to correct. But you know what? I still had fun and learned yet another branch of music that may come in very handy one day. And yet, another new world of music had been opened to me.... and it felt amazing!
I feel that after taking all of these classes this semester that I want to do so much more musically than what I am currently doing. Even within my teaching and church playing, I see all of these things I want to do. I want to lead a children's choir, discover what it's like to be part of a praise team, develop my ear so I can play by ear, work on improvisation, provide group lessons for my students, maybe take them to see a free concert, accompany a choir, and continue taking classical lessons once I am out of school. These are just a few of the ideas that have been wandering through my head...my "musical musings." I guess that for now, I will need to just pray about these ideas and see where God takes me. I feel like so many new things are being opened to me; so many new desires, and, yet, I am moving no where. I feel like the people around me get the opportunities I am looking for just handed to them, while I am left to wonder why I feel led that direction, yet are not given the same opportunities. I'm not jealous, but confused. But I guess that by typing all of this, I am reminded of the fact that God's timing is best and that He sees things I don't. Maybe now isn't the right time... and maybe the future holds much greater things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm proud of you and how hard you've worked this semester, Sweetheart! I know that God is using this to grow you and your abilities, and He will put them to use someday! I love you!
ReplyDelete